Tuesday, December 04, 2007

defining moment in mothering

Warning - serious ick factor ahead.

I have reached yet another turning point in my life. One where I realize that becoming a mom meant incredible changes in my life. Changes that go beyond what I call normal. Changes that amaze even me.

I vividly remember dh's cousing recanting a story when Hannah was tiny. He was laughing about changing diapers and how you get past worry about it, and get proficient enough to change a baby with one hand while eating a sandwich in the other.

I was reminded of that Sunday.

We'd decided to go to the mall and had gone through McDonald's drivethru for lunch in the car. A has slept all morning but was not running a fever and said she felt fine, so we chalked it up to just needing to catch up on her rest. She was happily sitting in the back seat, munching on her french fries, when I heard her make a funny noise.

I turned around to see her make the "I'm gonna puke" face just as she half threw-up in her mouth. My own hamburger in one hand, I grabbed the empty bag and reached backwards to shove it under her mouth, lest she puke all over the car.

She shoved it away and I held it back, telling her to go ahead and throw up but do it in the bag.... which she did.

I took a bite of my hamburger as she finished, cuz I was hungry!!

It wasn't until shortly thereafter that the absurdity of it all hit me. :) But I guess that's what being a mom is about - being able to see past the things that would have normally sent you running.. in there interest of self preservation, of course! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home