Friday, October 24, 2008

"Cloth PullUps"

Ah, three year olds.

What can I say? I either can't stop laughing or I want to strangle him.

Today was one of those mornings. When S gets something in his head, he's impossible to sway. Lately he's been wanting to wear Diego PullUps. Why I have no idea - we're closing in on a YEAR of being potty trained, and he hasn't worn them at night even for a good six months or so now. And even telling him things like "Big boys don't wear pullups, they wear underwear" or "Sorry, we don't HAVE ANY DAMN DIEGO PULLUPS" doesn't cut it.

So when he started in this morning about wanting a Diego PullUp, I wanted to PullUp all right.... pullup all my hair by the roots in frustration!!

I told him to put his underwear on, handing him a pair of cute but boring red Hanes boxer briefs.

He threw them on the floor screaming "I WANT A DIEGO PULLUP I HATE THE RED UNDERWEAR I AM NOT WEARING UNDERWEAR!!!"

I (stupidly) try to reason with him. Yeah. Like reasoning with a three year old has ever worked. But whatever. I hadn't had my coffee yet.

The fit continues. I ask if he'd like to wear his Diego underwear. I tell him he can wear his red underwear, he can wear his Diego underwear, he can go commando - I don't freaking CARE but there ARE NO PULLUPS SO STOP SCREAMING AT ME.

Only I was nice. Cuz I'm still trying to be reasonable. With a three year old.

As he's lying flat on his back hollering at me (have I mentioned I love 3yo temper tantrums?), something his dad said smacked me in the head..... so I looked at him and said "HEY! Do you want a CLOTH Pullup??"

BAM! Tantrum OVER!

He jumped up, all full of smiles and said "YES! A CLOTH pullup would be GREAT!!"

So I handed him his Diego underwear and told him to put them on. And he said "THANK YOU Mommy!!" as he put on his underwear - wait, scuse me - cloth pullup that only moments before he'd been screaming refusals about.

I'm still not sure who conned who there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's funny... Lochlan is (finally) showing some interest in potty training and he calls underwear pull ups :). These boys!! Gotta love them.

24 October, 2008 10:32  
Blogger Cori said...

Ooooh, good one Mommy!

24 October, 2008 11:00  

Post a Comment

<< Home