Friday, July 17, 2009

The tomato vs the mockingbird

About 100 years ago, I planted a "patio tomato" plant in a container on the... well.... patio!!



It's been growing really nicely, even has quite a few tomatoes on it. One was nice and big, but has been green forever and a day. I kept waiting on it to turn red, and had finally decided it was probably some rare form of green tomato and I was losing my mind.



Last week, it started to get an orange glow to it.



We also have a nest of mockingbirds in our wisteria (the "Harry Potter" plant). A few weeks ago, I assume the babies were fledging as the parents became very brave and very vocal, "yelling" at us any time we were in the backyard and even biting the dogs & cats in the backside. THAT in itself is a funny story that I never got adequate photos of, but nonetheless, they were aggressive. And brave. And suddenly, they were gone. No longer harrassing us constantly, although I still see them in the yard.



Yesterday I commented to R that the tomato was almost ripe for picking and I was looking forward to a cheese & tomato sandwich.



Today I glanced out the window and saw the mockingbird back. He was sitting on the eave... then dropped down to the basketball net (it's a Little Tikes one, so small!), then apparently dropped to the patio. I was happy to see him, but also wondered if one of the cats had been left out unintentionally by one of the kids and he was harrassing the cat again.



So I walked over and looked out.



And the little f*&#$er was having a go at my tomato!!!!



I threw open the door and he just LOOKED at me, then went back to attempting to eat it. I shooed him off and told him he could go eat from the birdfeeder that I put out SPECIFICALLY for him and the cardinal (and that I fill up every.damn.day - 5lbs of birdseed in a day! Even the ducks from the pond walk over for their free meal!), but he was NOT eating my tomato. I've waited far too long for the stupid thing to get ripe, and I was NOT about to share with a mockingbird!!



I don't think he was impressed.



But I sure am looking forward to lunch!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home