Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Target. With 7 kids in tow.

The other day, I realized we were out of milk. And coffee. Now we could have lived without milk, but I desperately needed my coffee. Or Coke. Or anything with caffeine. So desperately, in fact, that I loaded up seven kids and went to Target.

Not so long ago, the thought of travelling with just ONE child was enough to terrorize me. Now taking seven is just a fact of life, something that happens if I ever want to step off my property.

Once at Target, I put S in the sling ON me, R & L in the cart, and have H, A, B, & A holding hands and trailing beside me. We're doing fine. This is fun. The kids think it's a blast and are quacking as they walk behind me. Smartasses at the age of 3, 3, 4, and 5.

So we go into Target and an employee spies me coming in and asks if I need help. I wave absently at the two in the cart and tell her they are the wrong size and I need to exchange them for something bigger. She doesn't think I'm funny. Of course not. She has a job that doesn't involve poop.

Meanwhile, the other four are still quacking away and now referring to me as "Mommy Duck", so I do what any self-respecting person with seven kids would do - I say "Walk this way" and start walking like a duck. A drunk duck, but a duck. And when that gets boring, we stomp like dinosaurs. Or hop like frogs. Whatever it takes.

So we get the milk, we get the all-important coffee, and we get more diapers because I remember S has like 2 left in the diaper bag and that's it. And as we head to the checkout, I see this woman watching us kind of oddly. She starts to approach me, then backs away, then comes on over and opens her mouth.

I think to myself - here it comes. The "Are they all yours" question.

Instead, she smiled and said "It's so nice to see someone really enjoying children".

If she only knew.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stina said...

You know, that's one of the thing I really like about you? It's your complete enjoyment of your children and the kids you watch. If I end up being even HALF the mom you are, I will consider myself a success as a mother. Man- I'm really into the sappy comments these days... Keep writing... Oh! I got Lochlan a Calgary Flames shirt today now we're all set for the playoff. Are you going to fight if Calgary plays Vancouver?!? Tee Hee!! TTYL

19 April, 2006 17:08  
Blogger onegreyhorse said...

I'm impressed. I have started to worry about taking my one child out. I keep having dreams about living him/her somewhere and then frantically looking for them. 7, I could not imagine. Kudos to you.

By the way, what baby sling do you have?

22 April, 2006 14:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home