Wednesday, July 12, 2006

"I hope you don't do that again"

Oh the funny things kids say.

Saturday afternoon, we had some friends and their 5yo daughter over for dinner. After the children were finished and the adults were still eating, H excused herself to use the restroom.

Shortly after, she hollers, "DADDY! I pooped!". She wants him to come and help her wipe. I don't really know why, as she is perfectly capable of wiping her own bottom, but I guess maybe it's just a 5yo thing. So off he goes.

As he's in there helping her, all hell breaks loose and she begins screaming, "I WANTED TO DO IT!!!".

When R returned to the table, I asked what was going on. H was still screaming. He explained he'd flushed the toilet, and apparently she wanted to.

Now the thing about H is that about 95% of the time, she refuses to flush. I don't know why. But if you accidentally flush for her the other 5%, she flies off the handle. And this is, unfortunately, what happened.

Being the mother, I'd had enough of the screaming, so I walked through to the bathroom and threatened her with no guinea pigs. She immediately stopped the screaming. I told her to wash her hands, hang up her towel, and then apologize to Daddy for screaming at him.

Shortly after I sat back down, she came out and told me she'd washed her hands and hung up her towel. She then turned to her father and said,

"Daddy, I'm sorry I screamed at you. I hope you don't do that again".

Which naturally had us adults cracking up in her subtlety. Of course, we'd all had wine and beer, so perhaps it wasn't quite as funny as it seemed, but I dunno, we were all rolling.

What did we laugh at before children?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

LOL! 5 year olds are too funny! Sounds exactly like my own! I really love the apology!

21 July, 2006 09:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home