Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Power of the Telephone

I think every mother knows it. The telephone has the strange power to cause a child to cry, ask a question, or have an impending emergency.

Every single time I pick up the phone, whether to answer or to make a call, it happens. Without fail. The only way I can avoid it is to wait until they are all asleep. Even then, it's like spinning a roulette wheel. Sometimes your number comes up.

Yesterday, for example. I waited until the kids were all outside playing to call the lawn people. I gave the S-man some Cheerios and juice in his high chair to keep him quiet and contained. He was happy. The others were quiet. So I dialled.

Within the first minute of it being answered, one fell down outside and needed a bandaid. Then another needed a drink. And the baby decided the juice and Cheerios weren't going to cut it and started shrieking.

I apologized profusely to the lady I was speaking to. She laughed and said she understood..... and put me on hold.

So I took the hold time as an opportunity to scoop up S, slap a bandaid on a miniscule scrape, and give everyone a cup of water. Somehow, they KNEW I was on hold as everything became peaceful again.

Within seconds of being spoken to, all hell broke loose for a second time.

I had put S on the floor with a couple of blocks. Normally, this keeps him quiet and happy for at least a little bit. But oh no, because I was on the phone, he decides to lie down. And roll around. And crash his head into the corner of the TV cabinet.

He is seriously the only child I've ever known who can roll with enough force to give himself a bruise and a goose egg. I've had people ask if he's starting to walk upon seeing the greenish lump on his head. Nope, he's just a forceful roller. :)

And, of course, the others are now asking for the sprinkler. Or a freezee. Or a ball. Or chalk. Or anything else they can possibly think of. I'm flapping my hands at them, making promises that I will get it as soon as I get off the phone, just please give me 3 minutes to handle this!!

A minute later, I'm off. And everything is forgotten as all the kids go off and play amongst themselves. Except S. Who is now occupied with his blocks.

4 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

It's totally genetic. They just know.

And I totally just busted the "A" key on my computer.

31 May, 2006 13:37  
Blogger Stina said...

Lochlan does the same thing- it's like I'm not allowed to talk to anyone but him!! And you have to understand that he has this shriek... it's loud, it's piercing and it is completely impossible to ignore. Although we try because we figure he thinks it's a great way to get some attention!!

His shriek is so loud and piercing that some people have thought it's their phone acting up and they hang up on me!!! Joys of parenting right?

31 May, 2006 17:09  
Blogger Jen said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one that deals with this! You'd think my 5yr old would know better now, but his constant thing is, "Excuse me mom...excuse me...excuse me please"! UGH!!!

03 June, 2006 20:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quote: Nope, he's just a forceful roller. :)

LOL! Oh that just tickled me. LOL!

23 June, 2006 20:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home