Monday, May 08, 2006

Ever seen a turtle run??

We live across the street from a pond. And there are two more ponds on the other side of one neighbor. So needless to say, we have plenty of turtles around. And toads. The big ground ones that live in holes and leave little mud piles all over the yard that make for great story possibilities.

Anyways, being an animal lover, I hate seeing animals killed by cars. So when I see a turtle in the road, I will stop and move the turtle. This generally happens at least once a day in front of our house.

Today was no exception. Normally the turtles pull everything inside and I just pick them up and move them to whatever ditch they were headed for. Not this morning.

I parked the van, hit my flashers, and got out. Speedy took one look at me coming for him and took off RUNNING. I started to laugh and went to grab him, but the damn thing DARTED out of my reach.

By this point, I'm cracking up, and I figure it's okay if he just wants to run - I'll just "chase" him across the street and into the ditch. But oh no, Speedy has other ideas and makes a 90 degree turn to the left so he is now running straight up the street.

I'm laughing so hard at this turtle running I can hardly see straight. I finally manage to snag him and pick him up, and damned if he doesn't keep trying to run away from me!! He managed to "kick" me with one of his hind feet. When I finally set him down (some 8 seconds later), instead of pulling a normal "hide my head" turtle move, he stuck his head way out and craned his neck around to LOOK at me.

Oddest turtle I've encountered to date.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a funny tidbit, now I see Kenna out there chasing down the poor turtle.

09 May, 2006 08:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet he was off to see his "lady friend." You totally ruined his mojo. :)

09 May, 2006 20:12  
Blogger onegreyhorse said...

sounds like the turtles are messing with you... but really that is pretty sweet that you rescue all the little pond animals!!

10 May, 2006 19:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home