Sunday, May 07, 2006

The MOM Magnet

I have come to the conclusion that the MOM magnet does indeed exist and is not just a theory. And the MOM magnet is an extremely powerful force that is incredibly tough to break bonds with.

Take this morning, for example. Our house is 3200 square feet. In that 3200 square feet, there are three televisions and three bedrooms PLUS a game room that have children's toys in them. Despite all the space to spread out in, every person in the house was drawn to a central location - namely, Mom.

There I sat, in the living room, turning the television up louder and louder in an attempt to actually HEAR the Numbers episode I had recorded. Finally I gave up, turned the TV to Noggin, and stood up, asking why everyone needed to be within 4 feet of me at all time, and went to the bedroom to watch the last 10 minutes.

Immediately the MOM magnet exudes its powerful force, for I hear A exclaiming "But I just wanna talk to Mommy!" as R tries to explain to her that she can give Mommy 10 minutes to watch the end of her show. He was successful.

But that's not where it ends. I also have this powerful force over the animals in our house. Even now as I type, I am being WATCHED my our orange tabby, overseeing every keystroke, making sure I get it right. :) And... because the MOM magnet is so incredibly powerful, H is flopped on the futon behind me, asking "Why do we need to wear socks, Mom?".

Well gee, honey, I don't know. My initial thought is perhaps they'll help to ground my magnetic force, but in truth, I think it's just so your feet don't get cold.

Another prime example of the MOM magnet at work - the bathroom. Actually, when I think about it, I think there may be other forces at work in the bathroom as it seems to have a greater effect on everyone. I can go into the bathroom ALONE, and within seconds, be surrounded by the entire family, including all the animals. And naturally, they all have a very good reason to be there... such as....

"Mom! Are you pooping or peeing??" (does it matter? Cuz either way, it's a family affair)

"Mom! Can I watch?" (I'd say no, but I know it won't make a difference)

"Honey, what do you want me to dress the baby in?" (I dunno... clothes, maybe?)

"MOM!!! She's LOOKING at me funny!!" (OK, and???)

"Mom, A STINKS!" (so what else is new??)

"Hey, it's MY turn on the potty! Mom! Hurry UP, I've GOT to GO!" (OK, so maybe go use one of the other TWO bathrooms???)

And let's not forget our dear Shitkitty who is CONVINCED he MUST have his head in the toilet bowl whenever I sit on the toilet. He's not called Shitkitty for nothing. :) (OK, truth is, *II am the only one who calls him shitkitty, and it's just cuz he's a turd... not cuz he's ended up with anything on his head). He LOVES my bathroom as there is a half-wall separating the toilet from the rest of the room. I swear he thinks it was designed just for him. After all, he can fly into the bathroom at Mach4, vault off the bathtub, and skid to a stop on the wall, where he sits all innocently and pretends he's been sitting there all along.

Bathtime is even more fun. But that's a tale for another day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, from one mom magnet to another.....love it don't ya?

09 May, 2006 08:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with being a bathroom magnet. When my six month old starts crawling, I suppose I'll get yet another audience member.

18 May, 2006 10:22  
Blogger MB said...

The MOM magnet. I might pee...hahaha.

24 May, 2006 18:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home