Sunday, August 27, 2006

Having your cake.....



So the little guy turned one yesterday. ONE. How on earth did that happen? Has it really been an entire year since he was born?

We did a frog-themed birthday, or as much of a frog theme as you can do when nobody DOES frog birthday stuff! I made his cakes - the left is his smash cake, which he pretty much only licked the icing off of. The right is his "big" cake. The frog is a yellow pound cake; the pond is chocolate with vanilla filling. Delicious, if I do say so myself. I only had a few headaches with these cakes - namely when the arms decided to fall off. I managed to handle it by building him some "armpits" out of fondant to support the arms better. R laughed at me when I freaked out and got him to come hold the arms in place while making repairs. He told me it was kinda like watching the cake shows on Food Network when the cakes start falling apart as they move them and they make hasty repairs.

I took that as a compliment. ;)

In other news.... the initial cake was vaguely reminiscent of my grade 10 Biology class. You see, we dissected frogs. And my first cake fell apart when I took the pan off. Splayed itself wide open... legs out to the side, even the head was split. The kids LOVED it.... all this extra cake to eat!! Fortunately, I've made enough cakes by now to know things like this are bound to happen, and I had plenty of time to rebake the cake. Part of the problem was I attempted to create my own pound cake recipe and it just didn't work, so I went back to the tried and true one I usually use for shaped cakes. Much better.

It's so strange to me to see little boy toys everywhere! I don't know why that is - you'd think after a year I'd be ready for it, but nope.

I love it though!

2 Comments:

Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Happy Birthday! Wow, we're coming up on the big ONE in 2 months and I am in disbelief as well...The frogs are great! Hats off to you. I have STOPPED making fancy cakes as I keep having kids. They now get decorated sheet cakes and "help" me, so I can blame them for any mistakes!

27 August, 2006 23:23  
Blogger Stina said...

Happy Birthday, S!!!

I can't believe it's been a YEAR already. The cakes are wonderful! I'm sure S loved it and his party :).

My little guy's birthday isn't too far away... Where did the time go? TTYL

28 August, 2006 13:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home