Friday, October 27, 2006

McStupid

Yesterday was Thursday. $1.29 Hamburger Happy Meal day.

Due to a rather long story I'm not telling right now, I had to pick C up from school early. By the time we left the school, it was 10:20am. Early for lunch, yes, but I wasn't driving back again later.

So I go to McDonald's. It's 10:25am when I get to the drivethru order board and place my order.

"I need 6 hamburger happy meals, all with apple juice, 4 for boys and 2 for girls. I also need a #7 meal with a grilled chicken, and a side salad instead of the fries, with lite vinaigrette dressing, and a large diet coke please"

And I say this nice and slowly and clearly, cuz I know how drive thru is.

She repeats it back and asks what drinks I want. We finally get it straightened out and she gives me the total.

$20.33

I ask, "Ummm.... aren't the Happy Meals $1.29 on Thursdays anymore?"

She tells me "Not until 10:30am".

I look at the clock. 10:27am. She's got to be f-ing KIDDING me, right? They want to charge me TWICE as much because of THREE MINUTES?

Now, because I had small children in the car who do not need to hear what I really wanted to say, I simply said, "Ohhhhkay. I guess I'll come back in THREE MINUTES then, and do this all again."

And I drove off.

And around the building.

And got back into line.

And waited at the order board until 10:30am, when I said, "Are the Happy Meals $1.29 NOW?"

And she said, "Yes ma'am, they are."

So I started over.

"I'd like six hamburger Happy Meals, all with apple juice, four for boys and two for girls. I'd also like a #7 combo with a grilled chicken, a side salad instead of the fries, with lite vinaigrette dressing, and a large diet Coke."

She said, "Was that a large diet Coke?"

I said, "YES DAMMIT, DIDN'T WE JUST DO THIS THREE MINUTES AGO???".

OK, not really. Truth is, I said "Yes, a large diet Coke, please!"

She totalled my order. "That's $12.18 at the first window please!"

I got to the first window and paid.

I got to the second window and GLARED at the swing manager who was taking drive thru orders. The one who made me wait three minutes and then go through the whole rigamarole again.

So they PARKED ME and made me wait another five minutes for my food. I wanted to ask if they didn't know I was coming or what. But I didn't. And only because I didn't think I could do it without teaching six small kids a whole host of new naughty words they are better off not ever hearing.

The sad part?

We'll go back, next Thursday.

Not until after 10:30am though, of course.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stina said...

I hear ya... I've been on the other end where I want a bacon and egg bagel and it's 11:02 and they won't give it to me. The last time they did that I actually said "It's 11:02- are you kidding me!!!" She checked with a manager and I got my bagel!

I know... it's dumb. But what can you do with minimum wage labour! TTYL

28 October, 2006 14:36  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh man. They could have at least said that they couldn't serve you the meal until after 10:30 or something, you know? Like, had you pull up and by the time they'd made the stuff, it would have been 10:30.

I hate that whole time cut-off anyway.

07 November, 2006 21:47  
Blogger Jen said...

OMG!!!!! I'm rolling here!! WOW!

22 January, 2007 20:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home